9 Keys to Success for Barcelona Handicapped Travel
By John Sage
Having an accessible visit to Barcelona is not the same thing as having an accessible vacation in Barcelona! These 9 Keys to Success for Barcelona Handicapped Travel list several of the accessible experiences that you should include on your trip. There are so many accessible things to do in Barcelona that disabled visitors don’t need to feel left out at all!
1. Visit a handicapped accessible Barcelona beach – Wheelchair accessible promenades run parallel to the beach and wheelchair accessible walkways lead to the water. Barcelona beach accessibility can vary from place to place, but there are plenty of locations that are great for disabled visitors. Beach wheelchairs are even available at some places!
2. Ramble on Las Ramblas – Las Ramblas is one of the great boulevards not only in Barcelona, but in all of Europe. It connects the Plaça de Catalunya with the ocean. It has great people watching and numerous lunch, dinner, coffee, or cocktail options. There are numerous accessible outdoor seating options, so be sure to pay a visit!
3. Visit the Gaudi sights – Gaudi sights like Park Güell, Casa Mila, Sagrada Familia, and more are some of the most popular handicap accessible Barcelona attractions. To travel between them you have several options. Public buses are complex but cheap, bus tours are slow but cheap, and driving tours are quick and easy but require advanced booking.
4. Visit Montjuic for a great view – Barcelona is surrounded by mountains, and the elevated viewpoints from them make for great photo opportunities! From the Montjuic mountain located south of the Gothic Quarter, you can see the Plaça de Espanya, the Columbus Monument, Sagrada Familia, the handicapped accessible Barcelona cruise port, and more
5. Take a walking tour of the Gothic Quarter – A handicap accessible Barcelona walking tour is the easiest way to see the numerous city squares, churches, palaces, squares, and architecture in the city center. Because of crowded pedestrian streets, driving tours are unable to approach many of the sightseeing locations.
6. Try the tapas (and then try some more!) – Cuisine in Barcelona is influence by Spanish, Catalan, and French cultures. The tapas (small tasting dishes) are to die for! Numerous tapas restaurants have wheelchair accessible entrances and don’t have any accessibility challenges.
7. Book an accessible transfer from the airport – So that you don’t have to carry your own luggage and wait in line for taxis, you may want to book an accessible transfer from the Barcelona airport. Vehicles with wheelchair ramps can bring you to accessible hotels near the beach and near the Gothic Quarter.
8. Choose a hotel in a wheelchair-friendly neighborhood – Some Barcelona streets have cobblestones and others have smooth pavement. Wheelchair users will want to make sure they choose a hotel surrounded by smooth streets.
9. Do some accessible shopping – Barcelona has many, many accessible department stores and boutiques. Be sure you save some time and money for a souvenir from Barcelona!
Have a questions about Barcelona accessibility?
Our Barcelona Accessible Travel Consultants have all the answers
Barcelona Accessible Travel – main page
Pros and Cons of Barcelona Disabled Access
10 Wheelchair Accessible Travel Tips for Barcelona Spain
8 Keys to Success for Barcelona Handicapped Travel
Getting around Barcelona in a Wheelchair
Sagrada Familia Wheelchair Access
Barcelona Cruise Port Accessibility
Travel Insurance for Disabled Travelers
Top Accessible Cruises from Barcelona
Trip Planning by Sage Traveling
Barcelona Accessible Tours and Cruise Excursions
Highlights of Barcelona Accessible Guided Tour
Essential Barcelona Accessible Driving Tour
Medieval Barcelona Accessible Walking Tour
Accessible Barcelona Private Tour to Montserrat Mountain
Barcelona Accessible Hotels
Barcelona Las Ramblas Wheelchair Accessible Hotel
4 Star Barcelona Accessible Hotel with Roll-in Shower
Central Barcelona Accessible Hotel
5 Star Barcelona Wheelchair Accessible Hotel
3 Star Accessible Barcelona Hotel
Barcelona Wheelchair Accessible Beach Hotel
5 Star Accessible Barcelona Hotel by the Beach
Barcelona Accessibility Guide by John Sage
Barcelona Trip Planning by Sage Traveling – Travel with Ease!
Accessible Cruising with Sage Traveling – Receive our Barcelona Accessibility Guide & Barcelona accessible hotel recommendations for FREE!
Accessible Shore Excursions – Amsterdam, Argostoli, Athens, Barcelona, Bruges, Capri, Dubrovnik, Egypt (Alexandria & Port Said), Ephesus (Kusadasi & Izmir), French Riviera (Nice, Villefranche, & Monte Carlo), Genoa, Israel (Ashdod & Haifa), Istanbul, Katakolon (Olympia), Kotor (Montenegro), La Spezia & Livorno (Florence & Tuscany), Marseilles, Mykonos, Naples, Palma de Mallorca, Rome (Civitavecchia), Salerno, Santorini, Sicily (Catania, Messina, Palermo, & Taormina), Sorrento, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Toulon, Valencia, Venice
Contact our Barcelona accessible travel consultants